Thursday, April 5, 2012

How We Met (Follower's Questions)

     Let's start with how I met my husband, which seems to be a popular question so far.

     The memories are a little fuzzy but I'll try my best. And not the "fuzzy" kind of fuzzy because I was young and stupid. It's the "fuzzy" like "I have a horrible memory" type fuzzy. Is that clear? Good, then let's move on!

     It was 2003 and I was a sophomore at Concordia University in Portland, OR. My good friend Heather was dating a guy by the nickname of "Skitch" and I happened to be chatting with him online one night. I was informing him of the upcoming new years eve party I was planning that included just a few close friends. Skitch had asked if his friend could come along, that he had nowhere to go. I of course was more than willing and immediately asked for this persons picture.

I could insert some really old photos here of Keith, Heather and I.... but I'd have to find them and scan them and well ... I'm distracted already.

      Now, I want to explain that I have never been the "dating" type. Yeah, I dated my best friend in High School but we were church kids AND he was (later to be discovered) gay, but that's another story. That relationship was basically just a friendship. By the time I was a sophomore in college I started getting this feeling that I was ready to meet someone. I remember thinking very clearly, "I think it's time for me to meet someone to fall in love with". We are all dreamers right?

     OK, so I, for some reason was adamant about seeing this picture of Skitch's friend. He sent me this little wallet sized photo in my email. I opened the file and my one eyebrow (the right one) raised in interest. I thought to myself "I have got to meet this guy". Well it's all history from there folks. I always say it was love at first sight. I convinced  Skitch to give me this guys chat name so I could start getting to know him (I later found out that Tony thought I was some middle aged women inviting kids to her house for a new years party). We started chatting, then we chatted some more, and soon we were chatting night, after night, after night. Well he ended up not coming to the new years eve party and I was BUMMED!!!

     Eventually I convinced him that we should meet and suggested a little get together with some friends. We agreed on meeting at Ice Cream Renaissance then onto bowling after that. By this time it was January of 2004. Tony was resistant to any talk of dating, so I had my best friends work on him, and of course he caved when he actually met me. We met at the ice cream parlor and had a good time chatting about this and that with our friends. Then it was off to bowling where I admittedly tried to impress him. After the night was over I asked him if he would come long to Keith's birthday dinner which was (I think) a couple days later.

Christmas with my mom 2005

     To sum it up, things moved pretty quickly after that (not "that" kind of quickly, you know I'm not that kind of girl). We were inseparable. I would drive to his house almost every night after he got out of school so we could hang out and watch movies or play games with his roommates. I joked right before summer that I was just going to move in with him. That joking comment became reality and I pretty much moved in with him and his 2 roommates. My mom always tells me that I met Tony and never came home. I guess it was just my time to fly from the nest.


We traveled A LOT - 2006


     Tony and I eventually made plans to move out on our own (2005ish). I still had one more year of college to finish, he was working and in and out of school.


Our first apartment - 550 Sq. Feet!!!
     I graduated in 2006 with my BA in Elementary Education (by then we had moved twice from our first apartment). We moved from apartment to house to apartment, a total of 6 times in a 5 year span before we got married. I was looking for a teaching job, working as a Pre-K teacher and subbing for the school district in that time and Tony worked as customer service, then as parts manager for a auto mechanic shop here in Vancouver, he was also a sporadic visitor of the local community college, trying to decide what path to follow.


2006



     Here we are approaching our 2nd year wedding anniversary (8 years together) and we have one lovely 6 month old and are hopefully in the process of starting to look for a house to buy <3

Wedding Day 8-9-10

     I am, for now, a stay at home mom while Tony is still in his parts manager position. He is in charge of ordering and pricing out parts that are needed by the mechanics.


  
Did I leave anything out on the details of how we met? I feel like I just threw (more like dumped) everything at you readers. Sorry.


Christmas 2011




2 comments:

  1. Aww, your wedding picture is so pretty! I like how he wasn't into dating and then you come in the picture and sweep him off his feet, ha! Go girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU my daughter, are a phenomenal young woman; and yes you met Anthony and never came home again !!! I am so happy you found your guy and thankful for the beautiful granddaughter you have given me! You are precious to me my lovely daughter !!!! Stacey's Mom !!!

    ReplyDelete