Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Chicken Soup

     Yesterday I popped some chicken thighs in the microwave to defrost in preparation to make some chicken noodle soup. I opened the crisper and to my shock I didn't have any celery like I thought I did. No celery, no carrots... I did have an onion, oh and cilantro! My mind went wheeling on what I could possibly make with what I had. Then I remembered my aunt had recently had some soup at a Thai restaurant that had cilantro in it! The Thai soup had some coconut milk in it, which I didn't have. Oh well, clear brothy soup it shall be.


Chicken Soup with Cilantro and Clear Noodles:

Ingredients:


- 2 T oil
- 1 lb bone in, skin on chicken thighs
- 1 large sweet onion
- 3 large cloves of garlic
- 1/2 t hot chili flakes
- 1 t salt
- 2 t pepper
- 1 t basil
- 2 T chicken soup base
- 12 cups chicken broth (low sodium)
- 3-4 cups water
- 3/4 cup chopped Cilantro
- Cellophane noodles (Mung bean noodles)
- Cilantro to top soup

Heat oil over medium heat and add onion. Let onion cook down a little then add garlic, chili flakes, salt, pepper and basil. Let cook another minute or two. Add chicken soup base, broth, water and cilantro, set burner to high and bring to a boil. Add chicken and bring back up to a boil. Cook chicken until done, about 8-10 minutes. Remove chicken from soup. Remove skin and shred meat off of the bone. Add chicken back to the soup. Put desired amount of noodles in bowl (dry) then add soup over the noodles. Noodles will soften quickly and if you listen closely you may hear them crackling. Add cilantro on the top and ENJOY!!!

I hope I remembered everything. Feel free of course to tweak this recipe as you see fit, that's what I always do. You can add coconut milk or some curry... or both!!!
   


Mung Bean Noodles

You can see the noodles starting to soften

Finished product. YUMM

No comments:

Post a Comment