Thursday, April 12, 2012

Baby Boom

One of my all time favorite movies is Baby Boom with Diane Keaton. It's about a career woman who "inherits" her cousins daughter.

!!!SPOILER ALERT AHEAD... WATCH THE MOVIE FIRST IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT!!!


Netflix just recently added this to their instant watch lineup and I am in HEAVEN!!!

However, I now view this movie in a totally different light. Yes, it still has that fantastic 80's movie charm   but now that I have a little girl of my own I can totally relate to this moving film.



Before Amelia, I watched this film through the eyes of a young girl who dreamt of someday having a family and living in the country! This movie had it all. 
It was funny that this woman who had absolutely no experience with babies all of a sudden is thrown into this world of motherhood. It is still funny, but there is a scene that absolutely tears my heart out now that I have Amelia. The scene where she goes to the adoption office to put Elizabeth into the pool of adoption. A few scenes later she gets a call that some prospective parents are wanting to meet her. She shows up at the office and meets these new parents. They are emotion free and the woman calls her husband "sir". Diane reluctantly hands Elizabeth over and walks out. Elizabeth proceeds to scream her little lungs out.



I realized as I watched this scene that I felt so sick. I couldn't imagine handing a baby over to a family that  they didn't know. You know what this baby needs, how they fall asleep, what their likes and dislikes are among other things.
I understand that some people have to make this decision and I commend them on their bravery and willingness to give their child a better future (hopefully). It just kills my soul a little to watch this scene. But the good news is, is that Diane turns right back around, grabs Elizabeth and storms out of the adoption office!!!



Other scenes I can totally relate to now are the ones where she's walking around the house picking up toys after the baby is asleep, comforting a sick baby, and being totally exhausted trying to juggle everything the baby needs.

This is fantastic feel good movie! If you haven't seen it and you ended up reading this post anyway (shame on you), you should truly make it your goal to see it.

I'm watching it as I type this. :D

Let me know what you think of the movie!

*I DO NOT OWN ANY OF THESE PICTURES*

1 comment:

  1. Well, I think you know what your mom thinks of this movie !!! One of my all time faves !!! I will stop and watch it every time and have it on VHS..STILL !!!
    It's definitely a feel good movie...and I want to live in their house !!!!

    ReplyDelete