Friday, March 16, 2012

Cutting the strips...

Oh man was it amazing to break out my rotary cuter today and cut some fabric!!! 


I cut about 42 of these little 1 1/2 x 40 strips, then cut all of those in half.


Now I'm in the process of cutting all of the 2 1/2 x 40 strips into 6 1/2 pieces and 10 1/2 pieces {got that?}

As I was taking a small break from cutting I was thinking to myself, "how can I do this cutting more efficiently? I can pile a couple pieces on top of one another to get more done at once. No, you might risk some weird crooked strips." 

And as I washed my hands and peered into the mirror {dramatic affect} I continued my thought, "Stacey, making a quilt isn't a hurried craft. It's a timeless piece that will be in the family a long time, it should not be something you need to rush through." So right then and there I made the decision to really dive into this project and enjoy every single piece of fabric that needs to be carefully transformed and mixed together to produce one big piece of art.

If you know me, and I mean really know me, you will know that I have a HUGE issue with finishing projects and on top of that, the mind set to always find the easy and shortest way out (but really, who doesn't think this way?) So this commitment to really take the time and make sure not a single piece of fabric goes without the special care it deserves is a big step (go me!).

Where was Amelia? Oh, she was there!



By the time these photos were taken, she had already spent some time rolling back and forth on the floor, while I cut strip after strip of fabric. It was safe to say that she was tired and ready for a nap. Can't you just see it in her eyes? Oh, and please excuse the plunging neckline, it was mommy's attempt at a 9 month size... the pants fit, the shirt still needs some "filling in" (yeah, enough of my humor).

That's the progress made today on the "Amelia" quilt. I just keep thinking of how excited I am to have finally started a new sewing project, not to mention how spirit lifting it really is. The time will come when strips won't sew together the right way or the quilt will look crooked and I will re think that last statement. But that's the process, isn't it?

Stay tuned for the next progression post!!! 

2 comments:

  1. I love the colors and can't wait to watch your progress. I LOVE LOVE LOVE quilts and am on a quest to find the perfect one. If only I was good at sewing...(tried my hand at it, but I stunk).

    ReplyDelete