Sunday, July 15, 2012

Memories

     Whenever I make up a batch of green beans I always, without fail think of my Grandma Norma (my dad's mom). As a little girl I was all too familiar with vegetable gardens. Every summer we would care for my grandparents pretty sizable veggie garden. Among the vegetables were corn, green beans, tomatoes, zucchini, pumpkins, as well as a few others. It will never be forgotten the number of hours my mom spent in that hot kitchen with Grandma Norma, canning. My strongest memories include eating corn, shaved right off the cob before going into the plastic bags for freezing, and how Grandma always prepared those fresh canned green beans. So simple and so delicious, dill and butter! Thats all there is, dill and butter! That explains why the memory of Grandma comes back so clearly every time I sprinkle in that fragrant bright green dill and the chunks of butter to simmer with the beans. In fact, I actually have the dill container that was from her house. I somehow managed to swipe it either from my mom or directly from the house, many years after her passing. It amazes me that the tiniest smell or item can bring back the strongest of memories.

     Love you Grandma and Grandpa!!!


Left to Right: Grandma Norma, Grandpa Bill, my mom, me, my dad and my auntie

No comments:

Post a Comment